Getting started with Cairngorm
Cairngorm is a framework for creating RIAs (Rich Internet Applications) using Flex. The problem is that it’s pretty fresh, and there is not too much documentation and examples out there yet. So, here’s a list of the stuff I found while searching :)
- The Cairngorm wiki @ Adobe is a nice starting point
- AboutNico linked me to this great pdf written by Digimmersion – it’s called “Flex Application Design for Cairngorm” and it’s just incredible how difficult this gem is to find using your favorite search engine … thanks Nico!
- AboutNico also has a Cairngorm 2.1 sample application
- Renaun has a nice Cairngorm store example with support for 4 different backends (ColdFusion Remoting, AMF3, AMFPHP, AMF0). See it live here
- The FlexCoders Yahoo! Users Group currently returns almost 4000 posts about ‘cairngorm’ so that might also turn out the be a great resource.
- Adobe has a proof-of-concept application called NoteTag – and it uses Cairngorm – “NoteTag is as a reference application for Flex developers building their own large-scale Flex applications. NoteTag consists of several reusable libraries and over 200 source files, so there’s a wealth of detail in the ZIP file in the Requirements section.” — I haven’t checked it out yet, but from the description it looks very promising.
- Cairngormdocs.org – this is also a resource which doesn’t show up in Google searches (I stumbled upon it in this presentation from MAX2006). Not too much there yet, but it could turn out to be a good resource as well.
- Over at Cairngormdocs they have a nice simple example all called CafeTownsend (hotlink). Download it and give it a spin. Unlike NoteTag this is very easy to setup.
- Developing Flex RIAs with Cairngorm Microarchitecture – Ok for a bird-eye view
Good luck! :D .. as I said I’m just starting to read up on this myself, so maybe I’ll post some more as I learn :)
Comment by Andre on 2007-01-12 03:55:15 +0000
I discribe Flex as a framework to develop SWF applications. It’s difficult to imagine a framework that runs over another framework :)
Thank you dude, I’ll check it
Comment by David Tucker on 2007-10-30 21:02:22 +0000
I am doing a tutorial on Cairngorm currently. I hope that it could be helpful for some:
Comment by Bjørn on 2007-10-30 23:54:40 +0000
Thanks for that link, David :-)